Democrat Kathleen Murphy is President of Johnson Murphy & Associates, a consulting firm based in McLean that provides strategic counseling and builds legislative strategies for companies and non-profit organizations. Previously she worked as a Senior Advisor for International Trade issues at the Department of Commerce and handled Congressional Affairs at USAID during the Clinton administration. She worked for Congressman Charlie Wilson (D-TX) where she held a Top Secret security clearance and handled Defense and Foreign Operations appropriations.
Kathleen helped found Salute Our Services, which helps connect service members deployed overseas to their families and Kids Serve Too, an organization to honor and support children in military families. Kathleen has played a critical role in Women’s Campaign International, an organization dedicated to teaching women in developing countries how to become political leaders, and now serves on their advisory board. She was a founding member of the Congressional Wives Task Force, an advocacy group that focused on nutrition labeling and violence in children’s television.
Kathleen is a member of the Human Services Council for Fairfax County, the McLean Community Foundation, the Fairfax County Health Care Task Force and serves on a fundraising board for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. She is the mother of four children and a graduate of American University. She and her husband, Bill Sudow, are long time McLean residents.
- Served Congressman Charlie Wilson as associate staff for defense appropriations.
- Served as Congressional liaison for United States Agency for International Development.
- Worked as Deputy Director of Women’s Outreach at Democratic National Committee.
- Was appointed Senior Advisor at the International Trade Administration in the US Department of Commerce.
- Written and produced for Nickelodeon Television.
- Serves on the Human Services Council of Fairfax County.
- Serves on the Health Care Task Force for Fairfax County.
- Serves on a fundraising board for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.
- Is the Democratic Party Precinct Co-Captain for Langley precinct.
- Co-Founded the Congressional Wives Task Force.
Kathleen is running for the Virginia House of Delegates in the 34th District. Click here to learn more about our District.